Tuesday, April 7, 2009

SHU LEA CHEANG (atleast from the website)- Artists I plan on Incorporating-4

This montage was created based on the true story of Teena Brandon, a 21-year-old woman who in 1993 was raped and later killed for passing as a man, fascinated film-going audiences when Hillary Swank portrayed her in "Boys Don't Cry" (1999). A year earlier, the Guggenheim Museum in New York commissioned Taiwanese-American artist Shu Lea Cheang to make Brandon, a Web-based art work (the first commissioned by the Guggenheim) that explores Teena Brandon's story in an experimental, non-linear way, conveying the fluidity and ambiguity of gender and identity in contemporary societies. I found it on the Shu Lea Cheang website. I plan on incorporating several collages, to some extent like this one, in order to portray different stages of life. I plan on creating links to minor parts of the collages that connect the piece back into a part of the larger scope of the project.


No comments:

Post a Comment