Sunday, April 5, 2009

Revise and Resubmit. (Artist Post #9)

KERRY JAMES MARSHALL (Artist Post #9)

I plan on incorporating part of the ideas that I found while researching this author into my final project. I think he is also relevant to our class however, because of the way in which he completes his work. Kerry James Marshall is a contemporary artist, a painter to be exact. He has done a great many variations of work and conceptual ideas. The one in particular that I felt went along with some of the stuff we were doing in class is entitled “Momento.” On the SFMOMA site, I saw a video in which he was discussing the creation of his work and how he came to the final product after much reflection. “Momento” is mainly a piece of artwork that is based significantly around the time period in which it was first created. When Marshall first created it, he made it as vivid and extravagant as possible. After looking back on his work he realized that the piece was not what he wanted. He even states in the video that he was unhappy with how “ostentatious” the piece seemed to him. The original had a variety of colors and even gold glitter. It is a piece depicting the family life in the 1920s of a black family and what they hold dear to them. In the video, Marshall reflects upon his choices to incorporate so many colors into his artwork. He was reflective on the time period he was trying to convey within the piece and then found that he would be happier creating the piece in black and white, using grayscale to still have impacted colors. I think that this holds particular significance to what we recently discovered in class during the critiques of our final projects. Artwork can always be changed, tweaked- and made different- to better convey the fundamental ideas that made us start drawing- or in our case, flashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment