Sunday, April 5, 2009

Talk About Time Based Media! (Artist Post #8)

William Kentridge (Click this to see a video of him at work!)

A perfect example of the collision between digital, time based media and physical traditional forms of media, William Kentridge shows how the two can be fused together to make something altogether breathtaking. I found this artist on the SFMOMA site under the multi-media tab. I became interested in his work because of its relevance to our class. His pieces are extraordinarily immaculate, meticulous, and time consuming. I can’t even fathom how much dedication it take for Kentridge to create just one of his pieces, let alone the huge collection that he has been able to display on the website. But enough about my speculation on just how amazing Kentridge is, I’ll tell you about his work.
What he does is creates images on a sheet of paper using charcoal. He then uses a camera to snap two frames of each image he creates physically on the paper by hand. Each time he creates a new image he takes two frames, afterwards he goes back to the same drawing and alters it, but only slightly, and takes another two shots with the camera of the new image. Sometimes the alterations are as slight as simply erasing marks from the previous drawing by hand. In one piece in particular entitled “Tide Table”, he is able to capture the fluidity of the ocean beating against the rocks of the shore, and a person crossing against the wind and waves on stepping-stones in the water. In the video provided on the website of him creating his work, one can only assume that the painstaking and arduous process must be somehow therapeutic for him.
I really admire his dedication, and I enjoy seeing how the incorporations of both types of media create something unique. As the pictures move, I am able to see a progression of his drawings over time, and am reminded that he’s drawing each one only through the faintly visible eraser marks.



No comments:

Post a Comment