
Pablo Genoves
This was an artist that I also discovered on the Alternative Musem site. Although I had seen a few pieces of Genoves work before in some of my previous art classes, I never really knew much about him and his distinct form of medium. What is striking about his work is that it looks (at least to me) to be more sculpture based as opposed to something done completely digitally. Particularly in his piece entitled Hot Dog I felt the depth of what seemed to be to be sculpture because the hotdog and hand itself had a variety of visible textures. I was tricked. It turns out that Genoves uses the computer to come up with these pieces and not clay, plaster or papier-mâché.
Pablo Genoves produces a combination of a great many different artistic disciplines and an intersection of realism and fantasy. The convergence of either familiar appropriation in addition to his own original images with photographs of previously painted canvases and transforms them digitally. These works have the false and somewhat confusing appearance of painting reproductions or sculpture pieces done in a physical studio as opposed to something done on a digital canvas.
This was an artist that I also discovered on the Alternative Musem site. Although I had seen a few pieces of Genoves work before in some of my previous art classes, I never really knew much about him and his distinct form of medium. What is striking about his work is that it looks (at least to me) to be more sculpture based as opposed to something done completely digitally. Particularly in his piece entitled Hot Dog I felt the depth of what seemed to be to be sculpture because the hotdog and hand itself had a variety of visible textures. I was tricked. It turns out that Genoves uses the computer to come up with these pieces and not clay, plaster or papier-mâché.
Pablo Genoves produces a combination of a great many different artistic disciplines and an intersection of realism and fantasy. The convergence of either familiar appropriation in addition to his own original images with photographs of previously painted canvases and transforms them digitally. These works have the false and somewhat confusing appearance of painting reproductions or sculpture pieces done in a physical studio as opposed to something done on a digital canvas.

Genoves’ work leave me wonder just how he completed his final pieces of art. It makes me wonder how he became interested in the teqnique of changing the way we view elementary sculpture and photography and why it was that he chose to utilize digital media in order for changing the original artwork into something completely different. It seems as though, through his work, he is making a statements about the different mediums in art and how they each add something differently. Obviously for him this must mean that he feels the most freedom in the medium of digitalized artwork as opposed to more conventional ways of producing the painting reproductions that he started out with. He engages the audience in a discussion on the great cycle of art, and how far it has come over the ages. It reminds me a lot of the project mentioned in class in which someone took photographs of photographs and claimed them as their own artwork, merely because of the slight change.

No comments:
Post a Comment